Katya Jones and Joe McFadden performed an Argentine Tango on Strictly Come Dancing last night, which closed with an amazing dance move – Katya (wearing heels!) sank slowly backwards to the floor, supporting Joe’s entire body weight mid-way, before levering him to his feet. Impressive core strength. I’m not sure if either of them does Pilates, but as a professional dancer it wouldn’t surprise me if Katya Jones does. Her colleague and fellow professional dancer on Strictly, Karen Clifton definitely does Pilates.
Here’s the whole dance, or just skip to 01:30 when the show-stopping dance move starts…
Oh to be free to dance in the snow in your pants!
So, yes, Christmas is coming and the nut roast is getting fat. Embody Pilates will be taking a break over the holiday season from Friday 22nd December to Tuesday 2nd January inclusive. This means the last class before I break up (not literally) is the 1900 session on Thursday 21st December and the first class back is the 1015 session on Wednesday 3rd January.
For those most affected by the changes to the timetable, you’re welcome to book into one of the other classes taking place in the week running up to Christmas and in the week after New Year.
To close, a track from one of my albums of the year, St Vincent’s Masseduction. Ooh those boots! I’ll pass on the rest of the outfit, mind…
The King of Flexibility highlights a potential downside of being able to morph your body into any shape…
The clocks have gone back and I’ve just bought a pair of woolly bed socks, which means we’re either knocking on the door of winter, or I’ve turned into my nan.
Here are a few tips that have helped me keep the coughs and sneezes away over the last few winters:
- I drink lots of water, on average around four pints a day.
- Between October and March, I have 15 drops a day of Echinacea tincture, which I dissolve in one of the pints of water I drink.
- I increase my usual daily intake of vitamin C by including satsumas or clementines and grapefruit into my meals, and have a squeeze of lime in each of the pints of water I drink.
- At the first sign of a cold, e.g. sores in or around the mouth, dry or painful throat, I apply Propolis to the affected area with a ear bud until I feel I’ve recovered.
- I try to get as much sleep as my body needs. In my case, at least eight hours. Trouble sleeping? This might help you.
- I get out in the fresh air as much as I can, either walking or cycling.
- I wear more layers than I need. Better to be too warm than too cold, is my philosophy.
- If I feel like my core body temperature has dropped for any length of time, I try to have a hot bath as soon as possible.
To close, here’s a favourite “cold” track…
I’m going overseas on holiday in November – yippee! – which means some changes to the Pilates class timetable at The Wellbeing Studio – boo! The classes on the following dates will therefore NOT take place:
- Friday 3rd November
- Saturday 4th November
- Monday 6th November
- Tuesday 7th November
- Wednesday 8th November
- Thursday 9th November
I won’t be running the Pilates and Piloga classes at Strode Leisure Centre, Clevedon on Saturday 4th November, Wednesday 8th November and Thursday 9th November either of course.
The usual classes resume on Friday 10th November with the two morning sessions.
Apologies for any inconvenience.
To close, a dash of happy, Lisbon-style…
Okay, call off the dogs, the hunt is over. Yesterday I discovered a chewing gum fortified with vitamins. Each piece of Get More Multivitamin Gum contains 25% of an adult human’s daily dose of 10 key vitamins – B2, B3, B6, B7, B9, B12, C, D, E, K. It’s also suitable for vegetarians. Is it suitable for vegans? Not sure. I’ve contacted Get More to find out and will report back if I hear from them. It seems okay going by the ingredients listed on the packet.
Update: Get More Multivitamin gum is not vegan apparently. The Vitamin D is sourced from lanolin, i.e. sheep’s wool.
To play us out, who else but The Ramones…
One for all the movement and physiology junkies out there. A perfect example of choreography and costume synergy…